Open source does not just mean access to the source code (O’Reilly).
JADE is an Open Source Software since Feb. 2000 (version 1.3) and it is released under the LGPL license.
The LGPL license keeps all contributors to the same level relative to each other and it respects and protects both the users and the authors. In the following you can have a fast and rough idea of rights and duties of this license but, please, refer to the official LICENSE file for more details and legally precise information.
In particular LGPL assures right to:
- make and distribute copies of JADE;
- have access to the software’s source code;
- make improvements to the program;
- incorporate JADE into a proprietary program;
- continue the JADE experience even if we stopped it !! (which will not happen, because we will not stop JADE so easily).
The LGPL mandates also some duties, and in particular:
- to not keep modifications private;
- not change the license of JADE and its modifications.
Posted in: General Questions about Jade